Bionic is an army of entrepreneurs who have built and scaled companies. We know that large enterprises can grow like scaled startups when they leverage the methods and tools of lean entrepreneurship and the portfolio-mindset of venture investing. We serve Global 2000 enterprises, with whom we partner to install our proprietary startup/venture solution called the Bionic Growth Operating System, which builds a permanent, always-on capability for growth.
About the Role:
The Research + Design Director will be a player-coach with Bionic’s talented team of ethnographers, researchers, designers and developers.
The ideal Research + Design Director has the design chops and leadership skills to attract and retain top design and insights talent, as well as the ability to deliver great work for our partners while helping the rest of the team up their game, individually and collectively. You will bring an arsenal of experiments to run to get to the right answer, the expertise to select the right experiments for the right problems and the grit to execute against your recommendations.
Bionic works with our partners over the course of several years, acting as partners to drive the work forward while also teaching them the skills they need to do this work alone. We work like a startup -- building digital and physical prototypes fast and iterating them in market. We work directly with the C-suite of our partners and the work we do for them is highly strategic. This role requires someone who can develop relationships and act as a thought leader with these partners, in addition to delivering work that balances grit, speed and rigor.
In this role, you will:
- Manage and work alongside Bionic’s growing team of ethnographers, researchers, designers and developers, responsible for ensuring that we are delivering great work and fast turnaround times for our partners
- Act as a thought partner for our partners, developing appropriate research plans to test and validate our hypotheses through an iterative series of experiments
- Use ethnographic research, digital prototyping, physical rendering and dev capabilities to deliver solutions for B2B and B2C solutions across a wide range of industries, including energy, consumer packaged goods, financial services and retail
- Strike the right balance of experimental rigor, design quality and speed
- Work with the Entrepreneur Team Leader (who oversees our Entrepreneurs, Designers and Researchers) on staffing, managing utilization, project management and hiring
- Create a training plan that provides ongoing opportunities for our Insights, Designers and Developers to improve their design and research skills, as well as softer skills; potentially deliver periodic training to other teams at Bionic on design / maker best practices
- Drive world-class standards on researching, prototyping, and experimentation across the organization and expand Bionic capabilities through exploration of new research solutions and thought leadership
- Use design, research and experimentation to help Fortune 500 companies shape their strategies and create meaningful businesses that impact the world
Additionally, you will embody these abilities and characteristics:
- Take a gritty, startup approach that balances great ideas and execution with speed to market
- Value evidence-based, in-market experimentation to iteratively develop and improve solution concepts
- Embody and actively participate in Bionic culture
- Work collaboratively with Partner and Bionic teams
- Exemplify and advocate operational excellence from the Insights and Design team
- Contribute to raising Bionic’s external profile and brand
- Be deeply embedded in the local design ecosystem
In this role, you must have:
- 10+ years experience in design and conducting primary qualitative and quantitative customer research
- Experience with Lean experimentation, Design Thinking, user-centered design, rapid prototyping, software prototyping, A/B testing or similar techniques
- Experience working at a creative agency, innovation company or product design or development firm where designers, developers and customer insights work cross-functionally and collaboratively with business executives, entrepreneurs or strategy teams
- Experience leading cross-functional teams
- The ability to communicate with senior executives in a way that is clear, effective and radically candid
- Proven experience leading customer research including:
- Creating and executing customer interviews, usability test programs and facilitiating research sessions
- Implementing customer surveys, digital experiments and ethnographic studies
- Participating in iterative prototype development and testing programs
- Project managing programs and coordinating stakeholders and participants
- Synthesizing learnings and creating actionable recommendations
- Startup environment where you’ll have the opportunity to make a material impact on the company and Global 2000 businesses at the C-suite level.
- A culture of honesty, bold thinking and risk-taking with incredible teammates.
- Participation in the future’s biggest trends and building that future in partnership with the world’s greatest brands.
- Energizing office space with gadgets and toys, a fully-stocked kitchen, and views of Central Park.
- Company off-sites and abundant rewards and recognition for good work.
Bionic is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.